Comfort food is one of my absolute favourites! You know those times when you just want to pig out, watch a movie and be by yourself (or is it just me? haha). Well it doesn’t always have to be soo unhealthy. I’m gonna show you how you can make an extremely quick and healthier option to ordering out - frying pan pizza! Yes you heard me right, no oven and it’s all done in less than 1 hour. It’s great cause you make it from scratch so you can determine how much ‘unhealthy-ness’ you want to put in it!
Don’t be alarmed by the ingredients below, you can use whatever toppings you like!
Non-stick Frying Pan
Rolling Pin (Optional)
2 Cups – Plain Flour (You can use one cup plain flour & one cup wheat flour also)
1 Teaspoon - Salt
½ Teaspoon – Sugar
1 Teaspoon – Mixed Italian Herbs (Optional)
½ Teaspoon - Garlic Powder (Optional)
1 Tablespoon - Olive Oil
1 Teaspoon - Instant Dry Yeast
1 Cup - Room Temperature Water (Add as you go)
2 Type Sauce Ingredients:
1 Can - Chopped Tomatoes
¼ Cup - Tomato Puree
1 Cup - BBQ Sauce
2 Cloves Garlic
2 Seasoning Cubes
Salt to Taste
½ Tablespoon - Paprika
2 Scotch Bonnet Peppers
Mixed Peppers (Green, Red & Yellow)
Mozzarella Cheese (I got mine from Shoprite and asked them to cut it for me)
Parmesan Cheese (They sell this really cool parmesan shaker in small shops)
1) Mix all the dry ingredients including seasoning together in a bowl and olive oil.
2) Add the water little by little and start kneading together as you go till you get the consistency you require (see picture)
3) Tuck the dough into itself to form a ball, leave in the bowl with a little olive oil drizzled over it. Cover with cling film or damp cloth and leave in dark closed area. I put mine in a microwave that was switched off.
Tip: To knead all you have to do is lightly oil your hands with the olive oil and gently fold the dough into itself, press it down with the heel of your hand and repeat. You should do this about 8-10 times then tuck the dough into itself to form a ball, leave in the bowl with a little olive oil drizzled over it. Cover with cling film or damp cloth and leave in dark closed area. I put mine in a microwave that was switched off.
Its Sauce time!
1) Add Olive oil, onions and garlic to pan and let fry for about 5 minutes till onions become translucent.
2) Add tomato puree and fry for a couple more minutes.
3) Add the chopped tomatoes and increase the heat to let it fry down
4) Add Seasoning as required. At this point the plain tomato sauce is done
5) For the BBQ sauce you take half of the tomato sauce and add the BBQ sauce to it with a bit more paprika seasoning.
Now you can prepare your toppings if anything needs to be done to them. I just simple fry my sausages with a bit of paprika and coriander to give it that smoky flavour.
1) Split your dough into 2 and roll out to the desired shape.
2) Heat up pan on a low heat and add the rolled out dough without any oil. Once slightly browned turn over and do the same to the other side.
3) Turn back over and start assembling the pizza. Add sauce, mozzarella cheese, toppings, more mozzarella cheese, black pepper, Italian seasoning.
4) At this point your pizza will start to cook, add a little oil underneath the pizza and brush along the edge to get crispy. Cover with a lid slightly open till the cheese melts.
Voila! As easy peasy as that! Try it at home and lets see your attempt!